Friday 11 December 2015

Hobby Update December 2015

Hey hey!

So, I know I have been quiet on the blog front for the past month, so I decided I needed to spend a few minutes and tell you what I've been up to!

First things first, they released the Beta version for The 9th Age!  This was a massive step towards the continuation of Warhammer 8th Ed, and contains an incredible ruleset. So, I have been nose deep in the rules, trying to learn them as quickly as I can, and try out a few different list combinations, and snuck a game or two in also!

Then there was the Hawkes Bay Regional Warhammer Championship 2015. I managed to come out of the heats with the most points out of all the competitors, only losing on game with a 9/11 loss. After the heats, the top four proceeded to the semis, with the winners of each pair proceeding to the finals. My semi final game was quite tough, with my Dwarf list not being optimal against his Warriors of Chaos. However, after a very rough start to the game, and me not expecting to make a come back, I managed to turn the tables by surrounding his main units and crushing them, while picking everything else off one by one. A close victory, but a victory none the less. Then came the finals, and what do you know, I was up against my best friend and his Dark Elves, the player who I lost my only heat game to. His list was the list my Dwarfs were designed to handle, and I went in there ready to take the glory. Well, lets just say, the dice gods had decided that first place was not for me. With a lot of extremely bad rolling, and a few bad judgement calls, I took out second place over all. Lets just say I am not complaining, it's nice to have a shiny thing hanging on the wall!


Now, going back to the 9th Age, Equinox tournament in Auckland in April has said that it is most likely going to be 9th Age. This is great! If they do go with 9th Age, they will be at the forefront of bringing 9th Age to the competitive scene in New Zealand. So, what does this mean? I have an army to prep! However, it also coincided with me wanting to create a new Warriors of Chaos army based around 9th Age rules, with a full Spartan theme (and yes, the inspiration is mostly from the 300 movie!). What this means, is I now have 4-5 months to build an army from scratch, an to convert a lot of marauder models into Spartans!

Oh, and talk of tournaments? Let's talk about what's happening on Waitangi Weekend! Over the Top tournament is on again, and this time it is taking a full on End Times spin with Warhammer 8th ed. Now, I will neither agree nor disagree that writing a list that I am happy with for this tournament was easy, or that I lost 4-5 nights sleep with ideas and lists running rampart through my sleepy brain, however I finally settled on a list that I felt was not only competitive, but kept with the End Times feeling for the tournament. Hey Glott, ready to take your Bronze Legions to war?

This also meant that I have work to do, and with only 2 months to go, got right on it. While waiting on some Plague Drones and special character models to arrive, I started with my BSB on Palaquin conversion. Here is the work in progress photos, with a lil bit of paint as I figure out how I want it to look.




And to top it all off, because of OTT, I picked up a commission from a friend of mine who I painted a unit of Phoenix Guard for earlier in the year. Only this time, it's Teclis and 30 odd Lothern Sea guard.


Teclis has been completed, and I have started working on the seaguard which I will hopefully have finished by mid next week (more sleepless nights!).

So that's a little bit from on what has been up as I gear for a huge year a head, both in my personal life and in my world of wargaming, and a lot of changes are instore for both, and for the PlagueBearers team. But change is always good, almost as good as a holiday. ALMOST.

So if you do not hear from me before the new year, I am sorry, but I shall be drinking and eating and festing my way around a very full on painting station. Christmas? What's Christmas? I don't have time for that!!!!! 

Merry Christmas to you all, and have a happy holiday! 
Bye for now.

2 comments:

  1. Very interested in 9th as well down here in Palmy. Will see you at Over the Top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to it McCrae, shall be a great tournament!

    ReplyDelete