Saturday 11 February 2017

February 2017: An Empire Rising

Hello, it's me
I've been wondering if after all these........

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. Hey guess what, shock horror.....I'm back!

Well, not really, but I am, but I am not...

As you all know, I have taken the past few months away from the hobby. In truth, I had mentally stepped away from it back in September of last year. As promised, here is why..

The past few months has been a rollercoaster ride for me. As some of you are now aware, I separated from my wife back in late September, and the moved in with my best friend and his family early November.
We then had Invitationals (which all things considered, I am content with where I placed, even though I know I could have placed far better). Following that was Christmas, New Years, my birthday etc etc.
Oh, and did I mention, I finally set up my business! In contradiction to my blogger tag, the Empire Rose, with Empire Coffee Roasters "officially" going into operation. This has been a long term dream for me, and it has finally come into fruition. But with anything, it is only the start, with several more businesses in the works to begin over the next 3 years.

All of these things contributed to a massive hobby burnout. This also included the sheer amount of gaming that I had done, the pressure I had put on myself in regards to tournaments (I have a very competitive streak) and the high volume of painting that I had completed in small amounts of time. This cost me my interest and my heart in the game and the hobby, and I knew that if I didn't step away when I did, I would end up hating it, and throwing it all in the bag completely.

So last night, I finally sat down with my friend and we decided to have a game. To add icing to the cake of my tag, I took Empire of Sonnstahl into my first game of 2017, throwing together a list that looked the way I would like to play them. Faced off against Ogres in a similar list to what as seen in tournaments last year by this player, I was quite impressed with the synergies and the way my army worked, and we had an absolute blast! It was great to throw dice again and some rowdy banter, and enjoy the game.

Does this mean that I am going to be seen at every tournament for the rest of the year, or that I am going to completely paint another 5 armies this year? Absolutely fucking not!

From the painting side, I need to find myself a house as I am currently still living in other people's spare rooms. I need a quiet space to set up, and slowly work my way back into painting. I will be putting all other projects on hold, and starting back slowly painting up my Empire.
As for the tournament scene (which I miss heaps!) I will not be reentering until probably NiCon or Panzer. This comes down to the youth of my business, as this needs to be my main focus at the moment, along with the added financial burden of the travelling.

I am going to leave it at that. Please do not fear, I will return!

Or maybe, that is reason to fear..........

4 comments:

  1. You better still be doing that Dark Elf theme we discussed - otherwise I'm gonna nick it. :p

    Keep it cool and cruisy - good to hear you've rolled dice again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do not fear mate, that will still happen without a doubt. I just need to retrain my painting skill, and learn a lot more skills including detailed sculpting before I will be prepared to start it....it has to be immaculate!

      Delete
  2. Great to hear mate. Glad things are looking up, the business must be full on! Will be great to see you at Nicon should you be able to make it :)

    ReplyDelete